Sunday, October 31, 2010

Wedding Dress Curtains

I wouldn't put anything this fancy in my living room, but for the craft room... my girly retreat... I'm thinking silky curtains with that wedding dress "swish" noise:

(do you hear the swish?) 

I'm picturing luxuriously long drapes that puddle on the floor:
(oh, and by the way, Rob... can you raise the ceiling... 20 feet or so for my curtains?)

I didn't much like wedding planning. Maybe because I was ready to just BE married a good 6 months before Rob even proposed. ;) Maybe because I was finishing my master's degree and had no time for wedding planning. But wedding dress shopping... oh that part was heavenly. I was very good at sneaking off on my own for dress shopping. However, I only went to 3 stores before abruptly finding my dress... at some random place in Tennessee... "Budget Bridal by Connie". I didn't want to like my dress because it was $400 and new. I wanted to find a bargain at a thrift store or fall in love with a $99 gown at David's Bridal. I was only at Connie's because I was on a Style Finding Mission. However, I hardly slept the night after trying on that dress. I called my friend Charlotte and described the dress... it's swishy noise and the wrinkly taffeta fabric. "Oh... that's a special fabric..." she said, totally understanding how swishy noises and wrinkly fabric were perfection.

To this day I still like looking at wedding dresses. I don't read bridal magazines (I'm not THAT crazy!), but if a wedding dress appears on the front pace of Etsy I'm guaranteed to click on it. So, as you can imagine, I was very excited to embark on a Swishy Curtain Fabric Finding Mission. I walked into the fabric store and was drawn directly to a row of dupioni silk. "Perfect!" I thought. Until I noticed... oops... that's the real deal dupioni silk. My 1960's split level doesn't need $15/yard silk... even if I am being fancy. ;) Let's go find the fake stuff!

I spent a long time learning about swishy fabrics today and I still feel like I have volumes to learn. One day I hope to be well educated in fabric. But tomorrow (today, actually... haha) I'm very eager for the paper to be delivered so I can cut out some fabric coupons. Perhaps I should get some sleep on this Sunday morning. ;)

ps: the craft room's walls have a color!! :) One more coat before I can show you. Don't get overly excited, it's just a beige, but it's a beautiful beige!

4 comments:

  1. I love this idea! I can't wait to see the final product. I wish I could post a picture of my non swishy wedding dress but it was pre-digital. Just add that to the list of things that make me feel older and older:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see it! You looked so beautiful in your swishy wedding dress :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the concept of wedding dress-swishy-curtains. Can't wait to see them. And, you face looks so cute in the first picture - so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whenever I remember tagging along while you guys took pictures after your wedding, I think of you twirling in happy fluffy wedding dress circles while giggling all filled with love and glee. I think the curtains will be beautiful!

    Also, when you become a fabric expert, can you be my guide to the fabric world?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really make my day.
Always.
Thank you!!